Wednesday 12 September 2012

The Sacred Weeks

          It was a ritual in Umuofia that weeks before planting season is The Peace of Week, doing violences are allowed. Unfortunately, I had accidentally violated the sacred week by beating Ojiugo, my third wife.
          On that unfortunate day, I was waiting for my third wife, Ojiugo to bring my lunch as I feel it weird that she hasn't bring it to me yet. I have no idea that she was not around and asked my first wife, Nwoye's mother about it. I felt very angry when she told me that Ojiugo had gone to plaits her hair and have not returned yet. In a cold voice and trying hard to control my anger, I asked whether Ojiugo had fed her children or not, in which she replied that Ojiugo had sent her children to her hut and now they are eating their lunch with her children. I know that she was lying, trying to minimize Ojiugo's mistakes and that make me felt more angry and may explode anytime. I waited for her to come back to my hut and as soon as she came back, I beated her severely until I heard my two wives came out from their hut and pleaded me to stop as it is The Week of Peace, but I am not the type of person that will beat people halfway and continue to beat her until the priest,  Ogbuefi Ezeudu came to my house and asked me to stop. I tried my best to explain about Ojiugo's unacceptable behaviour but he just ignored me and demanded me to sacrifice a nanny goat and a hen and pay the fine of one length of cloth and one hundred cowries as a punishment for breaking The Peace of Ani. I did everything that he asked for as I truly repent my mistakes for breaking The Peace of Ani.
           I felt guilty for breaking The Week of Peace and also felt ashamed with my neighbours since it has been years ago since anyone breaks The Week of Peace.       



No comments:

Post a Comment