Wednesday 12 September 2012

The change

village church 
       
              I was happy to be back to Umuofia after seven years of exile, but sadly everything had changed now as the missionaries had settle down Umuofia and bring a great changes.
              After the seven years of exile, I finally step my foot back to Umuofia. I was happy to be back in my own village but unfortunately my village had changed a lot and so do most of the villagers. The missionaries had bring and introduced their law to Umuofia, they have built a prison and court where people were put on trial for breaking the law. There were also many men that converted into christianity. I was not happy with all these changes that happened in Umuofia and I wondered why the Umuofians had not launch a war against the missionaries. I tried my best to reignite the fighting spirit of my people to fight the white men and chase them out from our village. Finally they agreed to do something when Eunoch had purposely unmask an egwugwu, and in retaliation the egwugwu destroyed Eunoch's compound and burnt the church. After the event, I with the rest of the people involved in burning the church were being arrested and held in prison and only after the villagers had paid the fine that the white men agreed to let us go.
              I realized that changes had happened in our village and I was unable to stop it, even though my own people had change their own faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment